Employer Compliance • Employment Eligibility Verification
The U.S. government has become aggressive in promoting a culture of compliance. Mistakes in completing the I-9 form can result in hefty fines and government sanctions. Having a good I-9 compliance plan saves time, money, and resources. The Madrid Crost Law Group will ensure that employers comply with the I-9 requirements and do not accidentally engage in discriminatory practices that may expose them to the risk of penalties and other sanctions.
The MadridCrost I-9 Legal Audit
- Comprehensive advice on I-9 issues
- Review of new I-9s
- Review of previously completed I-9s
- report on outcome of review
- report on types of errors made
- analysis of percentage of violation
- remedial action recommendation
- I-9 retention monitoring
- Basic Services (see above), plus-
- Thorough review of company’s
- existing I-9 practices
- employee profile
- locations and type of business
- FAR requirements for federal contractors
- use of independent contractors
- previous I-9 violations
- receipt of social security no-match letter
- encounters with federal agencies
- Preparation of I-9 compliance plan and policies
- Semi-annual training of HR personnel and designated compliance officer
- Annual review with and training of key personnel
The Engagement Process
- The Madrid Crost I-9 legal audit process starts with a thorough evaluation of the employer’s compliance policies, practices and requirements.
- Madrid Crost and the client will execute an engagement agreement setting out a detailed scope of services to be rendered by the law firm.
- The engagement is valid for one year and renewable annually thereafter, unless a different timeframe is agreed upon.
- To maximize the benefits of an I-9 legal audit, Madrid Crost offers electronic I-9 solutions through a certified provider.
At Madrid Crost, we treat sensitive information with utmost confidentiality. Madrid Crost lawyers aim to promote efficiency and work for the best interest of employers with I-9 legal questions.
The I-9 Form and List of Acceptable Documents
List A – Documents that establish both identity and employment authorization
List B – Documents that establish identity; it must be accompanied with acceptable evidence of eligibility contained in List C.
List C – Documents that establish employment authorization
What are the minimum legal requirements for electronic I-9s?
- Electronic I-9 systems are generally preferred to make it easier for employers to manage the entire process.
- Reverification that is generally automated decreases liability for failing to update an employee’s I-9.
- This also reduces the risk of identity theft as there are generally more security systems to protect employees’ privacy.
Call Madrid Crost Law Group today at (312) 857-0857 to find out how we can help you.