L-1A Intracompany Transferee Executive or Manager

L-1A (Intracompany Transferee Executive/Manager) Visa

What is the L-1A visa?
The L1-A visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows a U.S. employer to transfer an executive or manager from one of its foreign offices to one of its U.S. offices in the United States. The L1-A visa also allows a foreign company which does not yet have a U.S. office to send an executive or manager to the U.S. in order to set one up.
What are the requirements for an L-1A visa?
  • The U.S. employer must be the parent, subsidiary, affiliate, or branch of the foreign business where you were employed.
  • As the employee, you must have been employed with the foreign business as an executive or manager for at least one year during the three years prior to admission to the U.S.
  • As an employee, you must be an executive or manager for the U.S. employer.

What strategic considerations should I keep in mind?

  • You are not required to create jobs to get this visa.
  • If you’re coming to the U.S. to set up a new office, you can stay for one year. If you’re coming to the U.S. as a transferee from the foreign office, you can stay for three years.
  • Your spouse may work anywhere in the U.S. if he or she has employment authorization.
  • There is no annual quota (limit) on the number of L-1A visas granted, and there are no wage minimums for the employee.
  • As the employee, you can begin the process of getting a green card after one year in L-1A status.

L-1A visa allows intra-companies to send executive transferees to the United States for the purpose of establishing an office in the country. The L-1 visa holder must have been working at the overseas location for at least one year out of three previous years in an executive or managerial position.

Can I apply for a Green Card while on this visa?

L-1A visa holders are allowed to apply for a Green Card because of employment-based immigrant preference category (EB-1C). EB-1C grants 40,000 immigrant visas annually and does not consider L visa a prerequisite (although L visa provides a stronger case for the immigrant petitioner).

How long can I stay in the US on this visa?

Employees entering the U.S. to establish a new office can stay initially for up to one year. L-1A employees can stay for an initial period of up to three years. They can request extensions in increments of two years until the employee has reached the maximum limit of seven years.

Yes, L-1A visa holders may apply for permanent residency.