I Representatives of Foreign Media

I (Foreign Media Representatives) Visa

What is the I visa?

The I visa is a non-immigrant visa for reporters, film crews, editors, and others with media-related occupations.

What are the requirements for an I visa?

  • You must represent a foreign information media outlet (press, radio, film, or other foreign information media).
  • You must be coming to the United States to engage solely in the media-related profession.
  • You must have a home office in a foreign country.
  • You must demonstrate that you are a bona fide representative of foreign media whose activities are essential to the functions of your organization.

What strategic considerations should I keep in mind?

  • Admission as an I non-immigrant is generally authorized for the duration of your status, and you are not required to apply for an extension of stay so long as you continue working for the same employer in the same information medium.
  • Your spouse and children under 21 may be eligible to apply for an I visa.
  • Your spouse and children may not work with an I visa, but they can study in the U.S. without applying for an F-1 non-immigrant student visa.