B-2 Visitor for Pleasure

B-2 (Tourist) Visa

What is the B-2 visa?
The B-2 visa is a non-immigrant visa for those visiting the United States for pleasure or tourism.

What are the requirements for a B-2 visa?

  • The purpose of your trip to the U.S. must be for pleasure or tourism.
  • You must plan to remain for a specific limited period of time.
  • You must have the funds to cover the expenses of the trip and your stay in the U.S.
  • You must have a residence outside the U.S. which you have no intention of abandoning, as well as other binding ties which will ensure that you return home at the end of your visit.
  • You must otherwise be admissible to the United States.

What strategic considerations should I keep in mind?

  • The visa is often issued jointly as a B-1/B-2 visa.
  • Your initial period of stay is one to six months.
  • You may extend your stay up to six months, with the maximum allowable time in the U.S. on a single trip generally limited to one year.
  • Each of your dependents who will be accompanying or following to join you must apply separately for a B-2 visa and must follow the regulations for that visa.

The B-2 visa is typically granted to individuals who travel temporarily for a vacation to visit friends and family members, as well as those who come in for medical treatment. This type of visa is also available to those who will engage in activities that are service-oriented or social in nature, including those who will participate in musical and sports events that will not be remunerated. Attending non-credit short courses, while on a B-2 status, is not prohibited. Employment is not permitted even if the remuneration is just mere allowance and/or free room and board.